Enjoy your shopping this holiday season, here are some tips to stay safe.
In Stores and Malls
Personal safety is important for everyone. here are a few safety tips to remember. If you see any people acting suspiciously please report them to the mall security officers immediately. They’re there to help you.
In Parking Areas
- Be aware of your surroundings and make a note of where you parked, try to park by something like a tree or post and take a photograph, include your car registration plate, if the lot is busy it’s easy to forget! It may be light when you start shopping but dark when you try to find your car again!
- Never park in a dark or isolated area, try to park in a well-lit area as close as possible to mall entrances.
- Always place bought packages in the trunk, even if you are continuing to shop.
- When leaving your vehicle, make sure all doors are locked and windows closed.
- Have your keys ready when returning to your vehicle.
- Only leave your ignition key with a valet parking attendant.
- When walking to or from your vehicle, avoid dark areas.
- Remain in your car and use a cell phone to call for assistance if you have car trouble, or return to the mall and notify security.
As You Shop
- Walk confidently and be alert. Shop with friends whenever possible.
- Keep shopping bags in your sight at all times. It helps to not burden yourself with too many bags or packages.
- Don’t display large sums of cash and use cards whenever possible but don’t leave your credit card on a store counter.
- Carry your handbag or purse close to your body with the clasp or flap toward you.
- Never leave your purse on a store counter, on the floor in a restroom or in a dressing room.
- Don’t carry your wallet in your back pocket.